Is it time to sell your big house in the near future and scale down? How does this make sense when the majority of the country is currently experiencing a seller’s market?
In a blog, Dave Ramsey, the financial guru, highlighted the advantages of selling your current house and downsizing into a smaller home that better serves your current needs. Ramsey explains three potential financial advantages to downsizing:
- A smaller home means less space, but it also means less time, stress and money spent on upkeep.
- Let’s assume you save $500 a month on your mortgage payment. In 30 years, you could have an additional $1–1.6 million in the bank to get you through your golden years or leave to your kids.
- Use the proceeds from selling your current home to pay cash for a smaller one. Just imagine what you could do with no mortgage holding you down! If you can’t pay cash, aim for a 15-year fixed rate mortgage and put at least 10–20% down on your new home. Apply the $500 you saved from downsizing to your new monthly payment. At 3% interest, you could pay off a $200,000 mortgage in less than 10.5 years, saving almost $16,000 in the process.
Realtor.com also addressed downsizing in an article. They suggest that you ask yourself these questions before deciding if downsizing is right for you and your family.
Q: What kind of lifestyle do I want after I downsize?
A: “For some folks, it’s a matter of living a simpler life focused on family. Some might want to cross off travel destinations on their bucket lists. Some might want a low-maintenance community with high-end upgrades and social events. Decide what you want to achieve from your move first, and you’ll be able to better narrow down your housing options.”
Many homeowners are taking the profits from the sales of their current homes and splitting it in order to put down payments on smaller homes in their current locations, as well as on vacation/retirement homes where they plan to live when they retire. This allows them to lock in the home price and mortgage interest rate at today’s values which makes sense financially as both home prices and interest rates are projected to rise.
Q: Have I built up enough equity in my current home to make a profit?
A: “For most homeowners, the answer is yes. This is if they’ve held on to their properties long enough to have positive equity that will be sizable enough to put a large down payment on their next home.”
A study by Fannie Mae revealed that only 37% of Americans believe that they have significant equity (> 20%) in their current home. In actuality, CoreLogic’s latest Equity Report revealed that 78.9% have greater than 20% equity. That equity could enable you to build the life you’ve always dreamed of.
If you are debating downsizing your home and want to evaluate the options you currently have, please call me to help guide you through the process. I’ve helped with this same move for many of my clients & friends!
Cary Perkins,Windermere Top ProducerFun With Real EstateCurrent Portland Oregon Real Estate Information,Highlights of Portland Oregon, House IdeasPortland Oregon Homes
Portland Real Estate, Portland Oregon Top Producer, Windermere Top Producer, Portland Realtor, Portland Homes for Sale
Windermere Top Producer Cary Perkins, Top Westside Broker
- 3.8 % Real Estate Tax
- Beautiful Houses
- Best Time to Sell Your House
- buying a home
- Buying property without ever seeing it
- cary perkins
- Color in home decor
- Current Portland Real Estate Market Information
- Daily House Idea
- Decorating Ideas
- Earthquake Preparedness
- Front door
- Gardens and Landscape
- Happy Hour
- house idea of the day
- House Ideas
- kitchen ideas
- Luxury Portland Real Estate
- Moving to Portland
- NW Portland
- Pearl District
- Portland Oregon
- Portland Oregon Real Estate
- Portland Oregon Realtor
- Portland Oregon Realtors
- Portland Oregon Restaurants
- Portland Real Estate Data
- Portland Real Estate Statistics
- real estate loan approval
- Real Estate Tax
- Selling Your home
- Selling your home during the holidays
- Short Sale of your Property
- Things to do in Portland OR
- Windermere Top Producer Cary Perkins