Q: We've just put in a ton of work on a new kitchen, and now it's time to sell. How much can we actually recoup from our expense?
A: Here is a link to the Remodeling Magazine Cost -VS- Value Comparison Tool. It lists costs for all areas of the US, and you can look at moderate or fancy remodels. It's lots of fun to figure out which improvements will give you the best return on your dollar. It also helps you to understand that when pricing your home, you can't expect to wring every penny out of your remodel. It will, however, make your home more attractive, and it should sell more quickly!
This site compares the average cost for 35 popular remodeling projects with the value those projects retain at resale. To find data for any of 81 cities:
1. Click a region on the map or choose from the drop-down list.
2. Click on a city in the map (requires flash) or from the drop-down list.
3. Click the Download button for a PDF with city data.
For more information about individual projects:
1. Click on a project name to see a description and a 3-D model.
2. Sort any column by clicking on the column header.
3. For more information on the Remodeling 2013 Cost vs. Value Report, click on any of the links listed at right.
Thanks to Remodling Magazine for their research on this great article.